Monday, 5 October 2009

BICS 2009... a review

Well, back at work today from spending two great days at BICS over the weekend.

Aside from feeling pretty tired driving there and back both days I throughly enjoyed myself. There seemed to be less 'professional' creators this year but tbh, the show didn't really miss as it meant punters had more spare cash to buy small press/independent comics.

I was on the Accent UK stand most of the time, sharing a table with Garen Ewing - creator of the wonderful 'Rainbow Orchid'. This was the first time I met Garen and it was a pleasure to finally meet him and get him to sign and sketch in my copy of his book.

Met up and had a natter with some fellow creators there - Marleen Lowe (at her first con), Gary Crutchley (yes we must meet up soon!), Dave Hitchcock (who's Madam Samurai pages were jaw-droppingly stunning!), Chris Doherty, Kev Mullins (very nice Predators pages there Kev!!), Jason Cobley and of course, Garen.

Sales were good, and as expected 'Whatever Happened to the World's Fastest Man?' sold very well, as did 'Zombies' and 'Wolfmen' (considering the book's been out 2 years that was superb). I bought a few bits and bobs - A signed 'Grandville' from the one and only Bryan Talbot, 'Burke and Hare' from Martin Conaghan at the Insomnia stand, 'Harker' 8 from the brilliant team of Roger Gibson and Vince Danks... having 'spoken' to them on email it was a pleasure to finally meet them face to face and tell them how much I enjoy their book. And judging from their sales I wasn't the only one! Lastly I got a copy of Razorjack (and a very cool 'Wolfmen' sketch) from legendary artist John Higgins (Watchmen, Judge Dredd etc) more on that later!!

On Sunday which is normally a quieter day... I was asked to do a sketch. Now I've never done a 'live' sketch before and was a bit worried that it might turn out a bit crap... but the lad seemed to like it and before I knew it there was a queue of people all asking for sketches. I think it did 'The Shadow', 'Doctor Strange', 'Thanos' and a wolfman or two. It was great fun if a little terrifying! Dave tells me they seemed happy with the results so I'll take his word for it :-)

Certainly helped sales though, shifted a few more 'Wolfmen' which is great and bodes well for the second book out next year. I had people come up and say how much they liked my stuff and the book in particular which always helps and gives you that extra push to crack on knowing that there is an audience for what you're doing and more importantly - they like it.

Had a very nice comment from a guy from Gosh! Comics who commented on how good he thought my design was for Dave's 'Strange Times' book too, which was very nice indeed.

Overall great fun - thanks to Dave and Colin for letting me be a part of it, and also to everyone who stopped by and bought something.... see you next year!

3 comments:

Dave West said...

... and a big thanks to you Andy for all the help ..

David Baillie said...

Awesome Batman, Andy! Did you take a photo of your Dr Strange sketch - I'd really like to see that!

Andy Bloor said...

Glad you liked it David - alas I don't have a copy of that one, but from what I can remember of doing it that's probably a good thing :-)