Thursday, 14 March 2013

Will Midnight Man ever be completed?


Believe you and me, this is a question I've asked myself several times these last few weeks.

When I started this project I realistically thought I could draw (pencil and ink) a page a week easy. Turns out I was wrong, and it's taken me weeks to just draw a panel sometimes and when I do complete a page I'm less than happy with what I've produced.

I've struggled with self-confidence with my work for most of my life, although just now it's gotten a lot worse. I look at the work of others on twitter/facebook etc and am in awe of them. They seem to produce amazing work and mine just looks so 'amateurish' by comparison. The lack of regular drawing has killed my work to the stage of where I'm at now, where I've had to come to a brutal conclusion:

My work just isn't good enough.

Of course, does that mean not enough for print?, for people to buy? or just for myself, for my own satisfaction? Maybe all of them, I'm not sure.

For someone who has loved drawing comics for as long as I can remember this has been quite crushing really, I either accept this and continue to get this book done, and do it for the joy of seeing the finished product, or I walk away from comics once and for all (I would still do pinups/covers/single pieces etc) but as far as sequential work goes that would be it.

I have a lot of thinking to do as I need to make this decision quickly and stick to it.

No comments: